Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Smattering of Thoughts

A few unrelated things have been cluttering my mind recently, and rather than try and post them separately, I'll just put them here:

First of all, I saw the Harry Potter movie last night (#6, Half Blood Prince). It was amazing, as all HP movies are. I really felt like the characters have grown into their roles, and I've grown especially fond of Dumbledore (of course, just in time for his death). As with all HP movies, there were parts of the book that were left out or rearranged, and there was one scene in the movie that wasn't in the book at all. That part kinda confused me, but for the most part, it was spectacular, and I can't wait to see it again. We sat in the front row, so it was difficult being that close to the screen, and I look forward to sitting further back and appreciating more of the film next time. Overall, I was very pleased.

My second, and entirely unrelated, note is that next week I will be going to Canada with Mom and Knoll. I didn't go last summer, and even if I did, I wouldn't remember it. It should be interesting, both because I've never gone with Knoll before and also because this will be the first time in years that I am not bringing Krista with me. Mom asked me if I wanted to, and I said no, of course, but Mom doesn't know that whole story, and doesn't know that we're no longer friends, and I'm not sure I really feel like disclosing the details, so we're just going to leave it at "no, I dont want to bring a friend." This change will be significant though, and I can't help but wonder what sort of emotions I will face once I get there. I love Canada, and I love staying at our cabin, but part of the thing I have always loved was the silence and the capacity to spend long periods of time alone with my thoughts. In the last several months, I'm not sure I want to be alone with my thoughts. I'm not sure I want to dwell on the things I have said and done recently. I'm not sure I want to dwell on the things I do and do not remember from last year. I'm not sure I want to wonder about the future. Those things being said, how am I going to cope with the silence that used to be so soothing but that now has become frightening?

Lastly, and on a third completely unrelated note, I miss being social and getting out and about. I really would like to have more fun in my life and stop feeling like an old person. Ugh. Is it too much to ask to want to feel like a normal college student?

No comments:

Post a Comment