Saturday, July 18, 2009

Damn the Seizures!!!!!

All right everyone, here's the latest update. As pretty much everyone knows, I was hospitalized in December for seizures caused by my brain swelling. I was put on meds and the problem resolved, with the worst aspect being about a year's worth of memory loss and restrictions on driving.

Well, I was on 2 different anti-seizure meds, and in June the docs decided to taper me off one of them. I took the last one on July 4th. 2 days ago, I woke Shawn up by having a seizure (12 days after coming off my medicine). He called 911 and I went in to the Paynesville hospital where our friendly neighbor and doctor Larry called the Mayo and talked to my doc there. They upped my dose of the medicine I'm still on, but are NOT putting me back on the other medicine.

Yesterday my family and I drove to Rochester and met with my doctor there, and there are a few things that he said:
- He is not surprised that this happened, and that considering I had recently come off meds, it was almost to be expected.
- He said that a regular sleep schedule and predictable lifestyle will help prevent future flare-ups.
- Also, the light-headed spells I've been having recently are actually minor panic-attacks and are basically psychological. His advice- breathe into a paper bag.
- He also said that it is again mandatory that I stop driving, but I take this with a grain of salt. He said that last time, and everyone I talked to at the DMV had differing opinions. We'll see how that goes. I am reluctant, to say the least, to give up my license again after only a month of having it back.
- Lastly, as every doctor is likely to say, he mentioned that "a healthy lifestyle will help improve overall wellness" and suggested dieting and getting lots of fruits and veggies.

So anyway, that was that. Basically, there's nothing we can do about it except increase my meds a little and call if it happens again. I bit my tongue while seizing and it is still bruised and hurts like hell. Luckily, I didn't lose any more long-term memory, the only missing memory this time is for the duration of the seizure. Overall, medically, I'm fine. I'm on the lookout in case it happens again, but generally fine. Emotionally, I'm ok. I'm sick of dealing with this over and over again, and having the doctor tell me I need to have a bedtime, go on a diet, and stop driving again does nothing to calm me down, in fact, it's extraordinarily irritating. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment