Saturday, May 30, 2009

Karate Camp!

Hello all!
As I write this, I am sitting in my hotel room in Texas after 2 days of karate camp. My feet are killing me, I have bruises all over, I haven't slept well, and tomorrow I will be testing for Sandan in front of at least 100 people [most notably, of course, Master Kise and Kaicho]. But I love every minute of it!

I love the feel of blood pounding in my veins. I hate sweat, but I love the fact that I am working to my full potential. I know exercise releases endorphins, which is why I love these things, but that doesn't change the fact that I love them. I love doing a kata on autopilot, and knowing I do it well. I love watching the people around me. I love asking and answering questions, and learning new and better things from people I haven't seen often. And most importantly, I love those people. I love how everyone understands our system, and the things we stand for. I love how I don't have to explain myself or what I do to people who think that ours is not a "true" martial art. No, I don't break boards. I've never been attacked by a board. I love the instructors, because they are there to help, and even the strict and highly disciplined instructors are willing to listen to and answer questions that arrive. I love meeting new people at every camp, and making new friendships, and I love reconnecting and continuing friendships I have formed in prior years. I love it all.

Tomorrow I will be testing for my Sandan. This will be the greatest achievement of my life (assuming I don't screw it up). As I said 3 years ago when I got my Nidan- I found karate, I love karate, and I'm going to do karate. Karate has shaped me as a person, and I feel incredible when I do it. I have truly found my life's passion, and I will never give that up. Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment