Monday, April 27, 2009

My F*ed Up Brain: Part 4

Ugh. I hate this. It's never ending. Let me do my best to keep you informed.

Part 4 of the Saga: St. Cloud Doctor Visit.

Ok, so for a couple months, I've been feeling much much better, but at the same time, I've been getting really lightheaded. I feel lightheaded and feel like I need to sit down or stabilize myself. Sometimes I feel throbbing sensations in my hands and legs, as though I can feel my pulse through my fingers. This situation usually passes within a few minutes, and I have noticed a correlation between external stimuli and this reaction. For example, if I am in a place with a lot of conflicting noises, lots of visual stimuli such as lights or shiny things, or if I'm highly emotional or stressed, this is more likely to happen to me. So, after dealing with this for quite awhile, Shawn and I made a doctor's appointment with my family doctor in St. Cloud.

Of course, as soon as we make the appointment, my symptoms lessen, and the throbbing lightheadedness happens much less frequently. Most of the time it is reduced to nothing more than a mild headache and bit of lightheadedness that passes within a minute. So anyway, I go to the doctor and explain everything, pretty much exactly as I have explained it here. Shawn and I thought that maybe it was a side effect of my meds, but the doctor didn't think that was likely, considering I had already been on my meds for at least a month or two before any of this started happening. His theory was that it was simply a psychological reaction to stress. He said there was a tiny possibility of my electrolyte levels being screwed up, because that happens occasionally to people with severe head trauma or people who have been in comas, but that was highly unlikely. Nonetheless, he ran a blood test just in case. Well, it turns out my electrolyte levels were normal, except that my blood sugar was low. Normally, this would not be a problem, but considering I had eaten a good breakfast (eggs, toast, and juice) 2 hours prior to my appointment, it was a little confusing. The doctor told me to eat more frequently and make sure I'm getting enough complex carbohydrates in my system.

Now, my assumption is that the doctor assumes that the lightheadedness is caused by the low blood sugar, which I deem highly unlikely. I have had blood sugar issues my whole life. I know what it feels like when I have low blood sugar, my brain automatically kicks in and says "you need to eat, now" and I do. And I can tell you, the lightheadedness associated with low blood sugar is a very different kind of lightheadedness than I have been experiencing lately. So, that in mind, the visit to St. Cloud did little or nothing to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment