Monday, April 27, 2009

My F*ed Up Brain: Part 5

Part 5 of the Saga: Last Night's Incident.

So yesterday, I had a few minor episodes of lightheadedness, the mild headache, but nothing to be worried about. Then yesterday evening, Shawn and I were headed home from the grocery store and the more severe kind occurred, with the need to stabilize myself and I could feel my pulse in my fingertips. I started to cry, because I cry a lot, especially when this sort of thing happens because I still haven't figured out why or what's causing it. It's freaking me out. But, we get home, and I'm fine. We have dinner and continue on our merry way.

Later, at about 8:30, I'm in my room, and it happens again. I'm really freaked out, so I go upstairs where Shawn and my Mom are in the living room. I sit with them and cry a little, wait for it to go away, and return to my room. It's odd that it happened more than once in a day, especially after it had been so good for a few weeks.

Finally, about 9:30 or 10, I'm watching a movie (the Italian Job, I highly recommend it), and I feel lightheaded again, but this was the worst it had been in a long time. I was just about to go find Shawn when he came downstairs. I told him about it, and I'm crying by now of course, because I'm scared and freaked out and I don't know why this keeps happening. 3 times in one day is not normal, even for me. This episode was the worst of them all- it was more severe, I felt like I was going to be sick to my stomach (although that may have been from the crying), and I felt throbby and lightheaded for several minutes. Shawn ran upstairs and woke up my parents, who came down to see what was wrong. From what they tell me, everything that happened last night was the same as when I was having seizures in the hospital, except that I remember it clearly, and there was no obvious twitching involved. My eyes were wide open, pupils dilated, I was scared and confused, crying, "I don't feel good" "my head feels funny" "I can't explain it" and so on and so forth. After half an hour of discussion, we determined it was not necessary to rush me to the nearest ER, (thank God, I'm sick of doctors), but instead wait until morning and then call the Mayo.

Shawn and my Dad got up early and called, but my main doctor is out all week, so we left several messages and have been waiting for someone to return our calls. My dad is hoping to get me an appointment in the next few days, if at all possible. Hopefully, we'll be able to get this all figured out, and I will be well and healthy again.

- Update- I have several appointments at the Mayo later this week. I have an MRI scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, an EEG Thursday morning, and a check up and follow up with a doctor Thursday afternoon. Turns out the one week that I have issues is the week that almost the whole neurology department is gone at some conference, just my luck eh? Anyway, it should be an interesting experience. Wish me luck!

1 comment: