Friday, September 11, 2009

A Day of Remembrance

Today is September 11, 2009. 8 years ago, planes crashed into the World Trade Towers and the Pentagon. Almost 9,000 people died. Today, plenty of people are taking time out of their day to remember the tragedy that impacted America. I am one of those people.

But, I am also a person who thinks that everyone needs to be remembered. If you have ever known someone who has died, or if you have ever lost someone, or if you know of anyone who's suffered a personal tragedy... they deserve to be remembered too. Maybe today is a day that should be dedicated to the attacks eight years ago, just as there are days to commemorate other major events in history. Maybe some people would argue that today is a day to focus on those who lost their lives for their country, and not for remembering the grandmother you lost to cancer. Some would argue that taking time out of today to reflect on changes and mistakes in your own life is selfish, and that mourning the loss of close friendships is an insult to the people who have actually died. Some would argue that today is not the time to focus on the negative things that have happened in your own life, and how much your world has changed in the last year. As I have already stated, I am not one of those people. I have already taken part of my day and dedicated it to the memory of those who fell in the terrorist attacks 8 years ago. But, I am also letting my thoughts go out to my own loved ones who have died or are ill. I am also letting my thoughts reach out to friends I miss terribly. I am, selfishly, letting my thoughts dwell for awhile on what has happened in my life in the last 10 months.

Today is a day of remembrance. What you choose to remember is entirely up to you, so long as you don't let time slip by unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment